Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Ottomans

The more I play SAGA, Dead Man's Hand, Chain of Command and Dux Brit, the less time I have for Field of Glory.  When our group does play FoG, it's for ancients only.  I realized my Later Ottoman Turks hadn't been on a tabletop since 2012 so, off to the market they went.

The Ottomans brought a commission to paint the  army into the Renaissance era. I'd always planned to do this myself but a lack of interest in FoG - Renaissance in the Twin Cities meant I never tried the rules and never made the leap.  Coming in 3 years after the original army was completed, these figures are the Renaissance era Ottomans I always wanted to paint.

The Janissary musketeers are all Mike's Models.  Possessing an Old School charm, I was uncertain how the figures would paint up.  It turns out they were quite nice to work with. It goes to show you can't judge a figure until you put some paint on it.  







These Tufekcis musketeers are by Old Glory.  The variety of poses, uniforms and colors give them the irregular look I was aiming for.  

Azab bow are by Mike's Models. While painted as irregulars, I kept a tight palette to avoid the dreaded "clown army" look.  

The Delis or "Mad-Head" cavalry are Mike's Models.  In Field of Glory, these fellows are tough!  
The Tufekcis cavalry are Mike's Models as well. 
To round out the lot, I painted up a Serbian allied command stand and Azab handgunners. 

The new owner is an active FoG tournament player. The Ottomans will get to travel across the globe for games in the US and abroad.   That's quite a change up from sitting on the shelf for 2 years. Cheers and good luck with these lads, Dannie!

40 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think I may have seen this army before but anyway, brilliant colours and lovely flocking of the bases... your Renaissance Ottomans will go up nicely against Renaissance Poles or vice versa? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, thanks! You are exactly right, Poles v Ottomans is a great match-up. Winged hussars versus Mad heads, anyone?

      Delete
    2. ...."Mad heads, anyone?"

      hehaha...... :o))

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding! Monty, your colors are always so vibrant these fellas could be found in a dimly lit room. The combination of white turban, red cap, and brightly painted tunic is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I do love bright colors. These colors are at home in Napoleonics.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! If I were in your club, I'd be playing rather than selling these. ;-)

      Delete
  5. They look really nice and the buyer should be well happy.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely gorgeous. I do hope your buyer is paying top dollar for this level of work. Well above table top standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you are very kind. I can't wait to see your next sci-fi or steampunk painting!

      Delete
  7. Nicely done its a shame you won't use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert! It's a cautionary tale to myself. Paint what will be played.

      Delete
  8. Love these uniforms, and love what you've done whith them...but the last time I met them I lost, sad souvenirs...Anyway, that's a beautiful army and a great paint job Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, Monty, they've got a good deal more dynamism than most Ottomans; nobody will be using these guys as a footstool any time soon!
    ; )
    An army like this is an ornament to any table top. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big LOL on this one, Evan! Love it...thanks.

      Delete
    2. And I meant to tell you, I loved your book reviews. Those two are a superb back to back read.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Monty, glad you enjoyed the article. My first piece of critical writing in many a long year, but (I hope) not the last!

      Delete
  10. Nice! The MMs have a fun, old-school feel to them.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus! I was a bit nervous at first but I do think they took paint quite well.

      Delete
  11. Super work Monty! I wonder how you are able to bear parting wth such nicely done figures.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Christopher. If I have painted lead sitting around for this long, it eats at me. Maybe I should see a Dr. about my condition. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I wondered the same, Christopher. Now we know.

      Delete
    3. I've sold a few painted historical armies and have regretted each one so I no longer do that. I suppose it's the opposite with me in that it eats at me the ones I sold.

      Christopher

      Delete
  12. I'm totally with Christopher here. It certainly would break my heart if these were mine and I had to give those little fellas away. Lovely painting all around and I 'm sure your customer will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moiterei! I'm really thrilled they'll be put on the table and used. And the money isn't half bad either.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! You fellows had a superb con. I love that it was run in a museum!

      Delete
  14. A lot of beautifully painted and based figures there, Monty. I always liked the look of Jannisary headgear. Someday I may have to pick some up in 28mm for skirmish gaming. Couldn't paint up as much as you did! :) Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean! My hope is to paint Ottomans in 28mm. It would be a blast, and I have some good source material thanks to a blogger in Istanbul.

      Delete
  15. Mikes Models now there's a blast from the past. I like these little men a lot would be very sad to see them go if they were mine Monty.
    I've kept all my old strip Minifigs from years ago can't part with them.....way too attached hahaha
    Nice job on these btw :-)
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarty! I tell myself anything I paint and sell, I could always paint for myself if something came up.

      Delete