Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spartan finish, now with 100% more camp

I love the many choices we have in our fine hobby.  Baueda helped me across the finish line with my least favorite part of painting a new army; the camp.  Once I saw the Spartan Sacred Enclosure, I put in an order right away.

The kit is based on a dokana, preserved on a Spartan tombstone. I'm looking at my Osprey "The Spartan Army,"  page 55 and its spot on.  What the spider and two snakes mean is beyond me.  They do look bad ass, which matches the Spartans well.  Painted in red, the enclosure matches the theme color for the Spartan army as well.

I should mention that I used Army Painter brown primer for the whole Spartan army, including the camp.  Brown is a great base for all the bronze armor and with a good wash, its a great base for flesh as well.  

The cavalry for the Spartan army is not impressive at all.  They're average, undrilled and armed only with light spears. These fellows will be of limited use:

1) Put them in a single rank and delay on a wing, or 
2) Provide rear support to my hoplites, giving supported units a +1 on morale checks.  

Over the weekend, my friend Brandt met me at Fantasy Flight for beers and a game.  He ran Late Republican Romans, which are one of the toughest armies in period. The key for the Spartans is to survive the Roman impact phase without dropping morale. Brandt won up and down the line when his legions went in but I diced out of 3 of my 4 morale tests.  From there, the game swung my way.  I killed 2 of his 3 generals, including Caesar.  Brandt claimed it was merely a flesh wound but whatever the truth, his Inspired Commander could inspire no more.  
The Spartans were falling all over themselves in their eagerness to get stuck in.  
On the last turn, the Spartan citizens anchoring my right flank got charged in the rear.  They dropped a morale level from the charge but won the impact phase against very long odds. My blazing dice had our FoG group shaking their heads.  I shook my head too when I busted another legion and broke the Roman army. I can't remember the last time I beat the Romans. King Leonidas would be pleased, I think.  I know I am!

37 comments:

  1. Fantastic encampment for your Spartan army! Love the look of your game and your Spartans appear to be tumblin', tumblin' down the hill. I withhold comment regarding Spartans fending off rear attacks...

    Good to see you at the game table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I had to stop laughing before I could respond! Thanks Jonathan!

      Delete
  2. Marvelous work on the camp Monty! so awesome!! excellent color tones of the camp base.

    congratulations are in order here, you did a fantastic job on your Spartan project.

    Two thumbs up!

    cheers,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh by the way, I believe, the two snakes (actually 2 serpents) represents "rebirth" and the spider "spinner of fate"

      Delete
    2. OOh, good one, thanks Phil! Yea, this is a keeper.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work as always Monty - just don't call the Spartans "camp"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I don't need any more trouble in my life that what I've already dialed up. Thanks Evan!

      Delete
    2. And tidy work beating Romans - how many times does THAT happen?

      Delete
    3. I'm just not clever enough to win with barbarian armies in FoG. When I play them, its truly a Lost Cause. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, you've been on quite the terrain making tear!

      Delete
  5. Excellent camp and riders and whaz a lovely looking game!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! Once the Romans went in, I was so focused on the outcome I didn't take any more pictures. I hate when that happens, and have only myself to blame.

      Delete
  6. Great looking camp mate, and a great win for the Spartans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate! The Romans are my worst ancient gaming nightmare so it's quite nice to grab the rare win.

      We have quite a bit of overlap in our gaming interests. Nice blog, added you to the blogroll!

      Delete
  7. Nice camp Monty. Congrats on the win - must make a pleasant change to have a fighting army :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! We have quite a few Roman armies in our little FoG group and finally, I might have the antidote!

      Delete
  8. Great looking camp and cavalry, Monty. Game looks splendid too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! It is great to get out for a game and a beer!

      Delete
  9. That camp is gorgeous, very well painted. The figures on the table look excellent together as well. You've really been on an upswing. First you get published, then you beat the Romans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Life is deliciously good right now. Gotta enjoy when it swings your way.

      I can't wait to see your shockingly secret project! I'd ask but then it wouldn't be so secret. ;-)

      Delete
  10. That camp is really nice. Great looking game as well with a win is even better.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi! I do love to win from time to time!

      Delete
  11. A nice looking game with beautifl armies...and this camp, it's a masterpiece Monty, I love it! I think Baueda is really nice and unusual, and you've done an excellent work, love the colors and the details...
    Best,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I do really like it. I love that we gamers have so many choices when it comes to putting our armies together.

      Delete
  12. A great looking army, Monty! And a lucky one, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, and you do need a bit of luck to take the Romans down a peg!

      Delete
  13. breaking some roman is always a good news !
    a photo pf the troops together ?
    it must be impressive
    you can be proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really should do a group photo. Thanks Marco!

      Delete
  14. Great work on that camp! I really like the white/ red contrast of the gateway. Your cavalry looks spot on. A shame they seem to be not of much use in FoG. Very nice pictures of your game as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moiterei, thanks! No worries, as light spear armed cavalry, they're overmatched by just about everything else in the ancient period. I'll hide them behind my back line!

      Delete
  15. That camp looks ace Monty! Such striking colours as befits a state of warriors.

    Nice looking game as well – and congratulations on the win against those Romans (it's always the Romans isn't it?). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonas! I finally have a tough army for Field of Glory. I'm just not clever enough to win with the weaker Gallic armies. Now that I've beaten the Romans once, I'm thinking I can do it again!

      Delete
  16. Thanks Andrew! It is sweet to start a brand new army with a W!

    ReplyDelete